Danny Cowley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Danny Cowley

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Just read this lengthy interview with him - always came across as a good bloke, and I think he did more than he gives himself credit for in getting some of the ingredients in place for this past season.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... ho-4622185
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Danny Cowley

Post by Sam_Brown »

I am genuinely sad it didn't work out for Cowley as he's a class act but there's not much sentiment in football these days and we wouldn't be where we are without him moving on. I wish him all the best for the future as I do everyone who puts their heart and soul into our club.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I always thought he was a decent hard working bloke but over complicated the game of football. I think he made it more technical than it really is. However, this interview shows him to be a real gent. I do believe he can take some credit for our promotion because many of the players involved this last season were bought to the club by him.

I think John Mousinho had an advantage over Danny Cowley in as much the environment in which each worked. The way I see things is that for Cowley's tenure the club were actually 'marking time' in readiness for a promotion push. The funds he had for the summer player recruitment under his leadership was largely self funded, "eat what we kill" was his rather unpalatable term. For instance Colby Bishop arrived on the back of Marcus Harness going and Harness arrived on the back of Lowe going. I think Cowley still had good players at League One standard but the team also had some not so good players too. I don't think he helped his own cause by some of the statements he made, 'transition to fast attacking football', for instance, where nothing of the sort transpired. Or where he described 'his vision' where the club was to become a 'production line of talented assets that could be sold on for profit'. Mousinho on the other had had the advantage of the club being less inhibited by the infrastructure revamp but, crucially, had transfer funds that exceeded outgoing sales. I believe that League One also didn't have the big spending clubs to contend with that Cowley did. For the want of a better phrase I think League One was at it's weakest at the top end for some time. I also think the set up at the club has enabled Mousinho to concentrate on the team more.

However, I think the bottom line is that Mousinho is simply a better manager than Cowley.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

I think I agree with all of that. Man management and getting the best of your players is a massive part and I’m not sure being couched by Mr Brittas is conducive to that lol.

Found this clip. This is perfect. Michael the American 🤣

Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:26 pm I think I agree with all of that. Man management and getting the best of your players is a massive part and I’m not sure being couched by Mr Brittas is conducive to that lol.

Found this clip. This is perfect. Michael the American 🤣

I used to love that series, The Brittas Empire. Whatever happened to Chris Barrie? I thought he was going to be in the same bracket as Rowan Atkinson and become a comedy genius. Others in that series went on to have good careers. I suppose I am going to have to look up Chris Barrie on Wiki now.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

My wife met Chris Barrie many moons ago. Apparently decent down to earth guy.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by phat_chris »

The only other show I'm aware him being in was Red Dwarf.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

phat_chris wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:14 pm The only other show I'm aware him being in was Red Dwarf.
Yes, he was Lister. Apparently he was also a good impersonator and done several of the voices on Spitting Images. He seems to have withdrawn from front line comedy basically to shun the 'limelight'. He now earns a living as an after dinner speaker and as a 'lighten up' MC at conventions. Good old Wiki.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by phat_chris »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:12 am
phat_chris wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:14 pm The only other show I'm aware him being in was Red Dwarf.
Yes, he was Lister. Apparently he was also a good impersonator and done several of the voices on Spitting Images. He seems to have withdrawn from front line comedy basically to shun the 'limelight'. He now earns a living as an after dinner speaker and as a 'lighten up' MC at conventions. Good old Wiki.
Actually he was Arnold Rimmer in Red Dwarf. Lister was Craig Charles.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

phat_chris wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:51 am
Blue Walter wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:12 am
Actually he was Arnold Rimmer in Red Dwarf. Lister was Craig Charles.
Yes, sorry. You are right he was Rimmer.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:18 pm I always thought he was a decent hard working bloke but over complicated the game of football. I think he made it more technical than it really is. However, this interview shows him to be a real gent. I do believe he can take some credit for our promotion because many of the players involved this last season were bought to the club by him.

However, I think the bottom line is that Mousinho is simply a better manager than Cowley.
Agree BlueWalter, Danny is undoubtedly a nice bloke but if his post match interviews were anything to go by then overcomplicating is putting it mildly. I was baffled @ times by what he said & I suspect so were a lot of the players.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by NSRailings »

Unfortunately, going by his Colchester post matches, he's still over complicating things. They're quite difficult to listen to.

After DC left us Cullen paid a great tribute to him and how he did a lot for the community side of the club and engaging the supporters. Can't underestimate that. I really don't buy this 'the club were marking time' opinion held by some. We simply didn't have the right people in until last season. Mark Catlin said as much in a recent interview - he knew the club needed someone else doing his role for us to progress. Respect to him for saying that. The Eisner's also had to a spend a lot of money on the stadium and other facilities, some of which wasn't expected. So the last thing they were going to do was over spend - they're just sticking to the way they want to operate the club rather than not wanting to get promotion.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

NSRailings wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:26 am Unfortunately, going by his Colchester post matches, he's still over complicating things. They're quite difficult to listen to.

After DC left us Cullen paid a great tribute to him and how he did a lot for the community side of the club and engaging the supporters. Can't underestimate that. I really don't buy this 'the club were marking time' opinion held by some. We simply didn't have the right people in until last season. Mark Catlin said as much in a recent interview - he knew the club needed someone else doing his role for us to progress. Respect to him for saying that. The Eisner's also had to a spend a lot of money on the stadium and other facilities, some of which wasn't expected. So the last thing they were going to do was over spend - they're just sticking to the way they want to operate the club rather than not wanting to get promotion.
Completely agree NS, I have never thought the owners didnt want promotion, but the stability of the club as a whole was the first thing to sort and that would bear fruit in the form of promotion, as it indeed has.

I think Eisners interview was quite telling too, regarding the manager / head coach needing to buy into the structure that we now have in place, with Hughes etc, and that Jacket didnt at all, and cowley only to an extent. We now have round pegs in round holes, everyone is on the same page (how many more daft cliches can i squeeze in) and i think the future of the club is rosy.
Do i think we will be a premiership team anytime soon?? no, but i think that the long term planning being put in place is sound, and I for one trust in the powers that be at the club.

no plan no ambition :rofl
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think it's really interesting in the Q&A with Mouse on YouTube that he states he doesn't have to deal with agents, he looks after the team and footballing matters.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:31 am I think it's really interesting in the Q&A with Mouse on YouTube that he states he doesn't have to deal with agents, he looks after the team and footballing matters.
he wont ever end up in a house like Reknapps then will he :thumb :rofl