BBC - Portsmouth: With Regan Poole set to miss the entire campaign, what next for Pompey?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

BBC - Portsmouth: With Regan Poole set to miss the entire campaign, what next for Pompey?

Post by Sam_Brown »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67440443

Thought the closing paragraph was interesting:
I said in this week's edition of Moon's Musings that you can win promotion from League One with Sean Raggett as your starting centre-back. I have no doubt you can, but losing Poole feels like the first big obstacle thrown in Portsmouth's way this season. They've passed all their previous tests this campaign, there is still a very long to go.
Do people think Raggett is good enough to step up or do we need to dip into the transfer market this season to get another 1st choice defender? I've no doubt we will strengthen the team this January and getting another decent CB in would help with not only this season but coming seasons as well if we get promoted.

Thoughts?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: BBC - Portsmouth: With Regan Poole set to miss the entire campaign, what next for Pompey?

Post by Pompey55 »

In my opinion Raggett is a fine centre back at this level and has never let us down, yes he is not the best playing out from the back (but not as bad as some think)
He is a solid defender possibly the best header of the ball in our squad both defensively and at attacking set pieces and a natural leader on the pitch
Poole was always a bonus signing but no one is irreplaceable
I think the only 2 players we could not replace from our current squad if injured or suspended are Norris and Bishop losing either of those for any time would affect our promotion prospects as there are no satisfactory replacements available to us
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: BBC - Portsmouth: With Regan Poole set to miss the entire campaign, what next for Pompey?

Post by NSRailings »

I think Raggett always gives his best and is a very good L1 center back. Am sure he'll will be looking to improve any parts of his game that he or Mousinho want to work on.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I think Raggett is an able stand in for Poole, in fact I think he is better than Poole in some aspects. I think that Poole is the better all round player but Raggett is better in the air in both boxes. I also think that Raggett is not easily bullied, not that I am saying Poole is but I just think Raggett is more robust. I don't think the club will replace Poole, as such, but I think they will be looking for cover in the central defence area either with a loan or short contract. I say that because I think it depends on how far forward the club is thinking. I think that Raggett is fine in League One, in fact a very good League One player, but he would struggle in the Championship. Whereas Poole will be better equipped for the next level. I would think that if we were to get promoted we would need wholesale recruitment because I don't think we are overly blessed with players capable of operating in the Championship. It would make no sense to invest heavily in this position until we know our fate, which I suppose is the same for any position. I think the January recruitment will be very much looking to get the job done rather than looking to the long term.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

As I put on a other thread... Or similar.

I think Tags are Towler are enough to see us through to January but we should look to add another centre half, probably on loan, as we are going to need another body in there to cover injuries and suspension especially with Olgivie out too.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I think we need a centre half who capable of bringing the ball out of defence like Poole does as it's given us another dimension this season. Also think we need a left winger with pace (maybe Martin if he works out) and another striker. We'll see where the ambition lies in January I guess.