Standards slipping?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Standards slipping?

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

No, I'm not referring to the quality of football our team is playing, but the standards of posting on this board. What has generally set it apart from other such forums has been the respectful and tolerant tone of posters. It's been a 'broad church', welcoming the participation of fans from other clubs, most notably our near neighbours, but how many of them contribute these days?

That doesn't mean there haven't always been differences of opinion, but that posters rarely resorted to abusing others for having contrasting views or beliefs. Sadly, that seems to be changing, and imho it's certainly not a change for the better.

Please, let's not allow this forum to end up like others, where your opinion is only valid if it's that of a vocal hard core who think you're unworthy of comment unless you attend 30+ games per season.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Standards slipping?

Post by rumourmonger »

Well said Sherl. Please don’t let this board descend to slanging matches.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Here, here....already too much suspicion and hostility in the world.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by blue architect »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:20 am No, I'm not referring to the quality of football our team is playing, but the standards of posting on this board. What has generally set it apart from other such forums has been the respectful and tolerant tone of posters. It's been a 'broad church', welcoming the participation of fans from other clubs, most notably our near neighbours, but how many of them contribute these days?

That doesn't mean there haven't always been differences of opinion, but that posters rarely resorted to abusing others for having contrasting views or beliefs. Sadly, that seems to be changing, and imho it's certainly not a change for the better.

Please, let's not allow this forum to end up like others, where your opinion is only valid if it's that of a vocal hard core who think you're unworthy of comment unless you attend 30+ games per season.
+1
well said NSS
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:20 am No, I'm not referring to the quality of football our team is playing, but the standards of posting on this board. What has generally set it apart from other such forums has been the respectful and tolerant tone of posters. It's been a 'broad church', welcoming the participation of fans from other clubs, most notably our near neighbours, but how many of them contribute these days?

Maybe there should be an audition.... :D
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil

Post by StMonkton »

Couldn’t agree more. We are all supposedly on here for the same reason, namely a love of Pompey.
A bit of to and fro is fine but we should be able to disagree without falling out.

Comments on specific match incidents obviously carry more weight from attendees. Otherwise, asking to see a season ticket before considering a comment is blinkered in my view.

I don’t go to games but PFC has been an important part of my life since the pram, so don’t tell me I can’t have a view please.

PUP!
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:32 am Couldn’t agree more. We are all supposedly on here for the same reason, namely a love of Pompey.
A bit of to and fro is fine but we should be able to disagree without falling out.

Comments on specific match incidents obviously carry more weight from attendees. Otherwise, asking to see a season ticket before considering a comment is blinkered in my view.

I don’t go to games but PFC has been an important part of my life since the pram, so don’t tell me I can’t have a view please.

PUP!
Ah, watching football from the pram, those were the days! Even then we had our disagreements but no-one spat out their dummies.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I’ll just say this once but I’ve had my suspicions for some time that the whole mess is just one or two people trolling and having multiple accounts. I say this for a number of reasons…

1) a lot of the new argumentative accounts all joined the site at roughly the same time.

2) the timings of when a lot of them post is very suspect. When you have a few of them all posting almost immediately after each other at the early hours of the morning and then hear nothing from all of them for days until they all start posting at the same time.

3) none of them partake in the lala league or have said they will come to the future meet up.

4) all of a sudden you get a brand new account with single digit posts piling into the conversation and being what I’d call a lot more in the know to the going ons on here for someone who apparently just found the site.

5) a couple of them have explicitly announced they were on the wind up in the past before denying it

6) we have had people on here in the past openly admit to posting as others to cause arguments

I’ll leave it at that. I might be going crazy. But that doesn’t mean I’m not right 🤣.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil

Post by StMonkton »

Just to clarify the pram comment. We lived round the corner from Fratton Park and in those days players would walk to the ground and stop to chat.

Obviously I don’t remember but was told the story many times.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Sam_Brown wrote:I’ll just say this once but I’ve had my suspicions for some time that the whole mess is just one or two people trolling and having multiple accounts. I say this for a number of reasons…

1) a lot of the new argumentative accounts all joined the site at roughly the same time.

2) the timings of when a lot of them post is very suspect. When you have a few of them all posting almost immediately after each other at the early hours of the morning and then hear nothing from all of them for days until they all start posting at the same time.

3) none of them partake in the lala league or have said they will come to the future meet up.

4) all of a sudden you get a brand new account with single digit posts piling into the conversation and being what I’d call a lot more in the know to the going ons on here for someone who apparently just found the site.

5) a couple of them have explicitly announced they were on the wind up in the past before denying it

6) we have had people on here in the past openly admit to posting as others to cause arguments

I’ll leave it at that. I might be going crazy. But that doesn’t mean I’m not right 🤣.
Yes! Also have you noticed how CERTAIN people, who shall remain nameless (we know who they are - Brexit supporting Putin keyboard puppets ), only post when there's a full moon and Mars is rising in Sagittarius?
Now I'm not saying that we should have witch-hunt and that Rubicon should check all accounts and weed out the infidels. No, that is NOT what I'm saying Rubi....not at all....there again, if you feel it's necessary to protect our way of life...
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I imagine it would be very easy for Rubi to pull the logs and see how many accounts have shared IP addresses over the last six months x.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Well said those Guys!

I don`t think Sam is far away from clarifying what I have thought for a while and why I have chosen after 15 years on here to put a number of the newer posters on "ignore"
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 388 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:04 pm I’ll just say this once but I’ve had my suspicions for some time that the whole mess is just one or two people trolling and having multiple accounts. I say this for a number of reasons…

+1
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I don't think it's any of that, I just think there's some new posters who don't agree with what you say or have opposing opinions and you don't like it.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

If people post with consideration and respect, or hold their hands up and apologise or retract anything said in the heat of the moment that causes offensive, there's no reason to weed anyone out.

I'm more interested in preserving (reinstating) an environment in which all feel they can express a reasoned view without fear of being trashed for it. Take a look at the list of members. There are dozens of long established, in some cases prolific, posters who rarely or never show their faces here now. How many I wonder have stopped posting because they feel the place is less friendly than it used to be?