Eisner’s

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Eisner’s

Post by Daniel »

Anyone else think they are getting a lot of stick.
They may not be the perfect owner but we could be in a far worse position.

-Spent a couple of million on roko
-Spending ten million-ish on fratton park
-Also spent loads trying to keep crowds by getting safety certificates.
-Academy top and unbeaten so far (so unfair to say no investment or could just be luck)
-also through COVID still funded with out any ticket/food sales.

Ten years ago every pompey fan was desperate for a sustainable model now we are being run like that they are getting abuse.

We also probably do have a very decent wage budget for this league but a huge chunk is being sucked up by Harrison, marquis, Curtis, downing, jacobs and harness all players Cowley was touting about in the paper trying to sell.

The club would of struggling to keep fratton park open let alone get a competitive squad together if we were still under fan ownership.

It might just be my opinion but we could do far worse just look at derby and many other clubs
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Eisner’s

Post by Sam_Brown »

I am grateful to them for keeping the club afloat during Covid. It feels like there is a lot of negative press about them but a lot of the time it's due to click bait headlines that don't match the facts or slow news days when we are "linked" with a player in the snooze and people are upset when they don't sign when the reality has always been most of those players we never even put an offer in! Creating outrage and disappointment where none should exist. The snooze could link us to Messi and they'd be people moaning that he decided to go to PSG instead of us!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Daniel wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 am Anyone else think they are getting a lot of stick.

-Academy top and unbeaten so far (so unfair to say no investment or could just be luck)

Ten years ago every pompey fan was desperate for a sustainable model now we are being run like that they are getting abuse.

We also probably do have a very decent wage budget for this league but a huge chunk is being sucked up by Harrison, marquis, Curtis, downing, jacobs and harness all players Cowley was touting about in the paper trying to sell.

The club would of struggling to keep fratton park open let alone get a competitive squad together if we were still under fan ownership.

It might just be my opinion but we could do far worse just look at derby and many other clubs
I agree with you with nearly everything you have said above, especially the bit about what state we would be in now if we were still owned by the shareholders, but I am beginning to feel we are in the minority. I do think the Eisners could communicate a little more with the fan base though, as there is so much noise out there at the moment that it is difficult to know who or what to believe. I'm also beginning to think Mark Catlin is a bigger loss than I thought he would be.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Couldn't agree more, I think it's just the frustration of a run without enough wins that has brought discontent to the surface. We have a team of players who are virtually a fresh team.......and that takes time to gel. Of course I want us storming to the top of the table demolishing teams for fun........but I always thought this season would be one of bedding in, I see us getting there week on week (no not there yet) and am as frustrated with the number if misses that Marquis puts in each shift as the next man but I am not panicking.

The owners have done well for us so far, invested where required in the infrastructure and the old gal is better for it, bought the training ground, huge huge plus. They may have had to tighten the belt a bit post covid, but surely that is what any responsible owner should be doing. Been there for the days of owners gambling with our club and am much happier with the stability and gradual progress I see now. Want this club to be in place for my grandkids to support.
Living in exile thinking Blue
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Spending £10m on the stadium is absolutely nothing in terms of what it needs. Years of neglect and lack of funding. They bought the club, they knew what it needed and now they're doing it all on the cheap. In my opinion Eisner is too focussed on staying at Fratton Park rather than building a new state of the art stadium somewhere outside the city. But maybe that was never the plan, just a carrot to reel us in.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

I don't necessarily disagree with that but we've seen first hand how hard it is to get an owner that would even do what the Eisner's are doing let alone more! If you or anyone else on here knows someone with a few 100 million spare in the bank who wants a little project then I'm sure the Eisner's could be tempted to sell for the right price :rofl.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

I must admit overall I am disappointed with the Eisners, particularly when you consider their wealth, latest net worth being 1.5 billion dollars = £740 million. They appear from their complete lack of comment to have little or no ambition for the club playing-wise or status-wise. Also they appear to take the size of the support for granted but this is understandable given the volume of season ticket sales each season.
Not investing in the team sufficiently make huge demands on the manager and on the patience of the supporters.
From some recent comparative figures I found:
LEAGUE ONE
Bristol Rovers £400 million
MKDons £157 million
Rotherham £139 million
Wigan £403 million
Ipswich £800 million
CHAMPIONSHIP
Hull City £210 million
Middlesbrough £220 million

It appears that only Ipswich have a richer owner than Pompey.
i welcome the investment in the ground but that largely grew out of necessity and improvement in capital value of ground.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

streetrifle wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:03 pm I must admit overall I am disappointed with the Eisners, particularly when you consider their wealth, latest net worth being 1.5 billion dollars = £740 million. They appear from their complete lack of comment to have little or no ambition for the club playing-wise or status-wise. Also they appear to take the size of the support for granted but this is understandable given the volume of season ticket sales each season.
Not investing in the team sufficiently make huge demands on the manager and on the patience of the supporters.
LEAGUE ONE
MKDons £157 million
Rotherham £139 million
Wigan £403 million
Ipswich £800 million
CHAMPIONSHIP
Hull City £210 million

i welcome the investment in the ground but that largely grew out of necessity and improvement in capital value of ground.
Don't forget networth doesn't necessarily equate to liquidity. Although I'm sure they could spend more if they wanted.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Why do you assume just because he has a high net worth that its cash lying around he is wiling to just lose to the club? He is a business man he is trying ro run the club as a business. His net worth is based on his interests and assets not cash lying in his bank account
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

streetrifle wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:03 pm I must admit overall I am disappointed with the Eisners, particularly when you consider their wealth, latest net worth being 1.5 billion dollars = £740 million. They appear from their complete lack of comment to have little or no ambition for the club playing-wise or status-wise. Also they appear to take the size of the support for granted but this is understandable given the volume of season ticket sales each season.
LEAGUE ONE
MKDons £157 million
Rotherham £139 million
Wigan £403 million
Ipswich £800 million
CHAMPIONSHIP
Hull City £210 million

The thing is they own the club so they can do whatever they want with it and, equally, spend as much money as they want on it.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:28 pm I don't necessarily disagree with that but we've seen first hand how hard it is to get an owner that would even do what the Eisner's are doing let alone more! If you or anyone else on here knows someone with a few 100 million spare in the bank who wants a little project then I'm sure the Eisner's could be tempted to sell for the right price :rofl.
How about we all stop being so "grateful" and ask some serious questions?? Like why on earth did they buy the club only to watch it stagnate in Div 3 with a barely tarted up stadium? What's going on with the academy? Do they have a Scooby doo about English football (I mean soccer)?

How many clubs in the top 4 divisions have had new stadiums in the past 40 years....must be over 75%, so don't be facetious about finding someone willing to spend a few £100m. if you want success you have to pay for it. As an owner the least I expect is a new stadium or complete rebuild of Fratton Park, serious investment in youth and a fiercely competitive playing budget.
After all without any of that what is the fecking point!
Selsey Fan
Gary O'Neil
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Selsey Fan »

Daniel wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 am Anyone else think they are getting a lot of stick.

Agree with you entirely Daniel, football fans are a fickle bunch (or at least the vocal minority), also just because they have a high net worth (according to third parties) why should they spend huge sums on our club. They have kept the promises they made us when the shares were sold to them. Furthermore, I am sure they must have put large sums of money into the Club over the past eighteen months to cover the losses we have incurred during the Covid pandemic - do the vocal minority consider that? Unlikely I know because all they want is success at any cost (because it is not their money).

Oh and to state the obvious what happened the last time Pompey were in that situation? Liquidation (at least twice) and a very quick visit to League 2 (and it could easily have been worse)

Ian (North Stand Season ticket holder)

Ian
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Selsey Fan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:19 pm

Agree with you entirely Daniel, football fans are a fickle bunch (or at least the vocal minority), also just because they have a high net worth (according to third parties) why should they spend huge sums on our club. They have kept the promises they made us when the shares were sold to them. Furthermore, I am sure they must have put large sums of money into the Club over the past eighteen months to cover the losses we have incurred during the Covid pandemic - do the vocal minority consider that? Unlikely I know because all they want is success at any cost (because it is not their money).

Oh and to state the obvious what happened the last time Pompey were in that situation? Liquidation (at least twice) and a very quick visit to League 2 (and it could easily have been worse)

Ian (North Stand Season ticket holder)

Ian
Not Ian Darke are you? :wink: :lol:
Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Post by Daniel »

If we had won a couple of games we wouldn’t be getting all this negativity.

Lots of people also complaining about the match day experience but eisners spending millions on the ground to fix that!
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by NSRailings »

Anybody who bleats on about a new state of the art stadium or not spending mega bucks on players or says 'look how much money they've got, why don't they spend it on us' is any one of - stupid/naive/hates not being fan owned/doesn't want the club to be owned by non-Brits or on a wind up. The Eisners are doing what they said they would.