Heart Attack!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Heart Attack!

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Had one 2 days ago at 2pm. Its called a widowmaker, i'll let y'all google it. 12% survival rate when it happens outside of a hospital.
At the ER in 10 minutes (very lucky I'm less than 2 miles from the hospital?) Wife drove me, ran a couple of red lights on the way...good woman! On the table surrounded by medical personel in 15 minutes from leaving home. Marvels of modern medicine, I'm discharged 24 hrs later.
Advice for you fellow older gentlemen (and I'm not that old at 56) google it, check on the symptoms, especially the sweating thing, and dont waste a second if it happens to you.
If I ever dont post for 30 days.....you can run the RIP CK thread :D
Div III. Call it what it is.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Heart Attack!

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:36 pm Had one 2 days ago at 2pm. Its called a widowmaker, i'll let y'all google it. 12% survival rate when it happens outside of a hospital.
At the ER in 10 minutes (very lucky I'm less than 2 miles from the hospital?) Wife drove me, ran a couple of red lights on the way...good woman! On the table surrounded by medical personel in 15 minutes from leaving home. Marvels of modern medicine, I'm discharged 24 hrs later.
Advice for you fellow older gentlemen (and I'm not that old at 56) google it, check on the symptoms, especially the sweating thing, and dont waste a second if it happens to you.
Glad you made it CK :thumb

In the same circumstance I suspect Mrs NSS would be stopping at green lights!
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by blue architect »

Jeez. You take care of yourself Kid. Ramipril is the best drug in the world for re-building a heart - hopefully, they have put you on it. Please do not do too much too soon. You may feel great but it will take many months to get back to full fitness (if you ever do - for me I haven't, but I do have 55% capacity so can live normally)
I genuinely know how you feel. I had a "major" while driving through Bedhampton nearly 4 years ago - totally blacked out at the wheel, resussed at the scene (totalled 2 cars), had to be resuscitated again in the ambulance which arrived about 10 minutes afterwards and yet again that afternoon in the coronary care ICU at QA. Three emergency ops later I have 2 stents, a pacemaker and an internal defibrillator (ICD)
I have nothing but admiration for the staff at QA, the ambulance service and modern medicine.
I echo your shout out to everyone to take care. I too was 56 when it happened. Looking back I see the signs were there but at the time I had no inkling that I was a candidate for a close shave with the reaper.
Take care of yourself. Life is precious.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:36 pm Had one 2 days ago at 2pm. Its called a widowmaker, i'll let y'all google it. 12% survival rate when it happens outside of a hospital.
Glad to hear that you're ok CK - sounds like a frightening experience!! A reminder of how fragile life really is.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Thought you were doing a album review but missed out the "Sheer" on a truly classic Queen album. :D
But being serious pleased you made it & hope you're now progressing towards better health.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

bl**dy glad you're ok, incredible that you get discharged so quickly these days!
Hope it's a full and speedy recovery and there are no repeats!
Living in exile thinking Blue
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Topic close to me own heart (if you pardon the pun) as my family has a history of heart conditions \ heart attacks plus the wife has a bi-cuspid valve and aneurism which is constantly being monitored so always something on the back of our minds.

Someone had a heart attack on the pitch at 5-a-side when I was playing there and didn't make it so can only reiterate what you and others have said about taking it seriously and watching out for the warning signs. Sorry you (and BA) had to go through it but obviously glad you're still with us and a reminder not to take anything (or anyone) for granted.

EDIT - Also had no idea an ICD was even a thing. bl**dy amazing what they can do these days.
Last edited by Sam_Brown on Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Just to emphasize how lucky I am, heart doc says there was no permanent heart damage and I'm actually healthier today than I was 48 hrs ago because the blockage I didnt know about is now gone. Got 2 stints in the main artery and theres some drugs to take in the short term designed to keep the stints clean and thin the blood a bit while the system cleans itself out. Most all my aftercare literature is based on taking care of the right arm where the catheter was inserted from the wrist on up. Theres some post care scheduled on diet / exercise and possibly a sleep study but as my diet is already good and I already exercise, I dont expect those will go anywhere. The cause was likely too many unfiltered cigars and maybe reduce the fatty foods a bit, which I dont do much of anyways.
Thank you all for the good wishes!
I'll just mention again the symptoms, in case it happens to you. Firstly let me say I'm about the most easy going guy there is and rarely feel stressed.
Anyhoo, I'm at home, nothing much going on. Suddenly I'm sweating all over and I'm soaked in a few minutes. there was a pretty minimal shortness of breath...nothing major....and the pain in the heart / chest was really quite minor....maybe a 2 on the 1-10 scale. Felt nausea but only after I had got to the hospital. It was the sweating that made me roll as it was so intense.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Just to add a bit of humor, I'm on the table, must have been 8 doctors / nurses there. They're hooking me to the EKG, other monitor devices, injecting a dye in 1 arm and margarita juice in the other. Asking lots of questions, taking my clothes off....100 things going on at once.
Then a nurse starts shaving my tackle! I got only 1/2 a manscaping as I found out later when I woke up. Apparently, that's the second entry option for the catheter if the wrist entry doesn't work out....top of the leg down by the tackle region.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:04 pm
Glad you made it CK :thumb

In the same circumstance I suspect Mrs NSS would be stopping at green lights!
I hope not!...I'm sure you got a lot more lights over 2 miles than I had....only 3 sets and she rolled 2 of them. Ones a camera....it'll be interesting to see if I get a ticket!
blue architect
Kev the Kitman

Post by blue architect »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:50 pm Just to add a bit of humor, I'm on the table, must have been 8 doctors / nurses there. They're hooking me to the EKG, other monitor devices, injecting a dye in 1 arm and margarita juice in the other. Asking lots of questions, taking my clothes off....100 things going on at once.
Then a nurse starts shaving my tackle! I got only 1/2 a manscaping as I found out later when I woke up. Apparently, that's the second entry option for the catheter if the wrist entry doesn't work out....top of the leg down by the tackle region.
I got mine up through the groin, but didn't get shaved - I feel cheated :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:52 pm
I hope not!...I'm sure you got a lot more lights over 2 miles than I had....only 3 sets and she rolled 2 of them. Ones a camera....it'll be interesting to see if I get a ticket!
If you do, you should frame it :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

blue architect wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:54 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:50 pm Just to add a bit of humor, I'm on the table, must have been 8 doctors / nurses there. They're hooking me to the EKG, other monitor devices, injecting a dye in 1 arm and margarita juice in the other. Asking lots of questions, taking my clothes off....100 things going on at once.
I got mine up through the groin, but didn't get shaved - I feel cheated :thumb
Yeah...you got robbed. But you dont get a bill. I wonder if manscaping will be a line item on my bill? If it is I'm only paying half.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman

Post by blue architect »

Interested to know how much that bill is when it arrives. I know my ICD is about £25k's worth plus about £4k's worth of digital reader sitting next to my bed monitoring me every night.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

So sorry to hear this CK. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.