Danny Cowley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Danny Cowley

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:26 am Unfortunately, going by his Colchester post matches, he's still over complicating things. They're quite difficult to listen to.

After DC left us Cullen paid a great tribute to him and how he did a lot for the community side of the club and engaging the supporters. Can't underestimate that. I really don't buy this 'the club were marking time' opinion held by some. We simply didn't have the right people in until last season. Mark Catlin said as much in a recent interview - he knew the club needed someone else doing his role for us to progress. Respect to him for saying that. The Eisner's also had to a spend a lot of money on the stadium and other facilities, some of which wasn't expected. So the last thing they were going to do was over spend - they're just sticking to the way they want to operate the club rather than not wanting to get promotion.

I don't think that they actually didn't want promotion and I think they would have embraced it if we had actually stumbled across it. I think they would have adapted their strategy if we were to have been promoted earlier. What I do think is that their preference was promotion when they felt the club was ready for it. I don't think they actually dragged their heels, as such, but I don't think it was the most important thing to them. As already pointed out they spent a lot of money on the ground and other projects connected to the clubs infrastructure. They are still putting money and effort into the infrastructure projects but I think they are now happy we have reached a point where they are comfortable with achieving it. For this reason I think that promotion wasn't backed earlier as strongly as it was for this last season. Their stance changed in the way they operated by making more funds available as well as changing the management hierarchy, which was primed for a better chance of success.

In my opinion I think that leading up to last season the main objective was to improve the club as a whole and a season by season improvement on the playing side.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I read the Cowley interview. Although he was protesting that his input and recruitment had nothing to do with the success this season. By mentioning his recruitment he was effectively taking some of the credit. Don`t get me wrong I like Danny Cowley but as others have stated he made a simple game complicated for everyone!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by NSRailings »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:51 am I think Eisners interview was quite telling too, regarding the manager / head coach needing to buy into the structure that we now have in place, with Hughes etc, and that Jacket didnt at all, and cowley only to an extent.
Exactly. The Eisner's tried other ways to get promoted and backed the manager as much as possible. I guess there was a certain amount of autonomy given. I've always thought it was mad for one person to have so much responsibilty for the playing and squad side of a club.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Had about a 20 minute conversation with Danny Cowley with one of my sons at the Pompey Xmas Party a short while before he got fired and he is a genuinely good bloke. Probably too nice. One of his many (and possibly biggest?) mistakes was making Clarke Robertson captain, a complete wet wipe.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

I see that De Zerbi is leaving Brighton. I wonder who they'll get in next as a quote from their CE is interesting - "He understands what our limitations are. Behind the scenes, our model is very well known to him. We won’t break that model for anyone.” I guess De Zerbi was frustrated with the budget. Having said that, they've been very frustrating to watch this season. Too slow coming foward, hanging back and passing it around too much, not making a pass unless they're absolutely sure there's no risk. Against City their fans were telling everyone to shoot.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Slightly related to the above anyone else nervous if Mou continues to do well he may get picked up by another team?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:24 am Slightly related to the above anyone else nervous if Mou continues to do well he may get picked up by another team?
C'est la vie though isn't it. No manager stays forever. Ultimately it depends what he wants to do if he continues to be successful for us.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:24 am Slightly related to the above anyone else nervous if Mou continues to do well he may get picked up by another team?
I am certain John Mousinho is ambitious, lets face it we wouldn't want an unambitious man running our team. I think that at the end of next season we may well be looking for a new head coach. That will depend on if he keeps us in the Championship and, perhaps more importantly, how well we do.

If next season ends in relegation he would probably move on anyway. Just keeping us there will draw interest from other clubs, but in this particular case I would think he would want to stay to show he can be successful. A good positional finish could see clubs like Brighton sniffing around who operate to a similar model to our club. As time goes by I think more & more clubs will follow the route that clubs like Portsmouth have, actually I think they simply have to because if they don't this money madness will see clubs disappear. That will mean these clubs who operate in the same way as us & Brighton will be looking for John Mousinho type of head coaches.