Pompey vs Sutton Utd

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Pompey vs Sutton Utd

Post by NSRailings »

"Well, Danny, defeat tonight in the Papa John's trophy. What were your immediate takeaways from that one?" The interviewer can see this cup's a joke :D
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

NSRailings wrote:"Well, Danny, defeat tonight in the Papa John's trophy. What were your immediate takeaways from that one?" The interviewer can see this cup's a joke :D
Yes, he was definitely taking the pizza
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

OK, so I've had a few glasses of Spain's finest, but please let's get a grip here ladies and gentlemen. For the most part people have moaned about even being in this competition, we field our 2nd eleven and lose, and people are in meltdown. Seriously? Please, let's focus on our amazing 4-0 win against the runaway lead leaders in our previous game.
PS. We should feel grateful to have the Cowleys.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I disagree Bill, Tuesday night was a chance for the fringe players to shine and they failed miserabley. From what I heard and read about the game it was embarrassing, proving that our squad isn't up to scratch. Our first team might be ok until injuries start to bite but we definitely need to to strengthen in January as well as binning some of the loanees.

As far as being lucky to have the Cowleys goes, one swallow doesn't make a summer, most of the games I've seen have been poor. I think they're lucky to have us but we shall see in due course.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Betelgeuse wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:29 am I disagree Bill, Tuesday night was a chance for the fringe players to shine and they failed miserabley. From what I heard and read about the game it was embarrassing, proving that our squad isn't up to scratch. Our first team might be ok until injuries start to bite but we definitely need to to strengthen in January as well as binning some of the loanees.

As far as being lucky to have the Cowleys goes, one swallow doesn't make a summer, most of the games I've seen have been poor. I think they're lucky to have us but we shall see in due course.
For what it is worth, I do agree with you about our fringe players failing to step up to the plate demonstrating that there is very little depth to our squad. The Cowleys always said it would take three windows to sort out the team they want. Let's give them that and then see where we are at.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Betelgeuse wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:29 am I disagree Bill, Tuesday night was a chance for the fringe players to shine and they failed miserabley. From what I heard and read about the game it was embarrassing, proving that our squad isn't up to scratch. Our first team might be ok until injuries start to bite but we definitely need to to strengthen in January as well as binning some of the loanees.
So, what did we actually learn from Tuesday night (as if we didn't already know most of it)?

As you suggest, beyond the first choice team, plus a handful of reserves, there is not a lot of depth that you would want playing in L1 games for more than odd bits of games in an emergency. At present Pompey are a team, not a squad. It means that we are walking a tightrope around injuries and suspensions, and this will only get worse as the season goes on (just pray that Raggett doesn't get ruled out in the near future). However, I suspect that the same applies to all but a few L1 teams this season, and there will be a lot of reassessment and activity around January.

As to loanees, that would seem an odd thing to complain about. Bazunu and Romeo have been excellent; we haven't seen enough of Azeez; Hirst and Gassan have disappointed, which is normal when trying to find stikers on loan. I would think that is a well above average return for five loan players at this level.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Perhaps worth also adding that Cowley himself was disappointed by the performance of a number of players according to the News.

Cowley pointed out that much the same squad had a behind-doors friendly with Bournemouth only a few days earlier. Pompey won 3-0 (including two from Ahadme if I recall correctly.) For this reason, he was expecting better against a L2 side.

To be honest, I listened on the radio while watching England/Hungary with the sound turned off. PFC were so dire that I switched off after the first Sutton goal.

But, from the radio commentary and my limited football knowledge, I think that Cowley got our tactics wrong from the start. Sutton clearly had a simpler plan which they dleivered. We were struggling with players unable to meet the challenge of playing the Cowley way - whatever that is.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Milton End wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:07 am We were struggling with players unable to meet the challenge of playing the Cowley way - whatever that is.
I guess that's why he's been quoted as saying he would need a few transfer windows to get the team he wants. The only question is while waiting to get the "right" players in does he try something else and more pragmatic? Or are the growing pains now going to pay dividends in the future once it's all properly bedded it. A change of philosophy doesn't happen overnight, especially without the right players. I'm with SB in that I think we need to see where we sit at the end of next season. I appreciate that's a big ask in todays football world where everyone wants instant results. That's not to say some of the players (especially second string) seem very mercurial and you never really know what sort of performance you are going to get.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:51 am
So, what did we actually learn from Tuesday night (as if we didn't already know most of it)?

As you suggest, beyond the first choice team, plus a handful of reserves, there is not a lot of depth that you would want playing in L1 games for more than odd bits of games in an emergency. At present Pompey are a team, not a squad. It means that we are walking a tightrope around injuries and suspensions, and this will only get worse as the season goes on (just pray that Raggett doesn't get ruled out in the near future). However, I suspect that the same applies to all but a few L1 teams this season, and there will be a lot of reassessment and activity around January.

As to loanees, that would seem an odd thing to complain about. Bazunu and Romeo have been excellent; we haven't seen enough of Azeez; Hirst and Gassan have disappointed, which is normal when trying to find stikers on loan. I would think that is a well above average return for five loan players at this level.
PP I wasn't complaining about all the loanees, just Hirst and Gassan mainly. I agree that Bazunu has been excellent and Romeo is very good, although he wasn't on Tuesday. I'd like to see Azeez given a chance but understand he's been injured.
It will take several transfer windows to build a squad. From what I've seen it's going to be a long season.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

The real question is why players of the quality of Jacobs, whom Cowley was praising to the skies a week ago for his professional attitude, have slipped so far below their own personal standards.
You have to think it has something to do with motivation. Which is the time for a decent manager to step up and do his job.