Transfer window...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 66 times

Transfer window...

Post by eltorrro »

..closes tonight.

Who do you think Pompey will 'swoop' for or who will be 'swooped' from Pompey? 8)
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Transfer window...

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I don't think Pompey will be signing anyone. Realistically the squad has a decent amount of cover at all positions other than perhaps a back-up left back to Enda and back-up defensive midfielder as cover for Doyle (if Linganzi's contract is not extended until to at least January)

As for departures: Naismith is clearly still on the transfer list - although after his assist vs Exeter last Saturday and two assists last night vs Yeovil you could argue he's the most in form member of the squad! - so he would be the most likely candidate to leave. I suspect Pompey and Naismith would want a permanent move but potentially I could see this turn into a loan until the next window. (Hartlepool again perhaps for Naismith?)

I could see Barton wanting to leave if someone offered him first team football and with Clarke on the way back, Buxton on the mend and Whatmaugh back before Xmas too I could see Cook taking a gamble that he could get through without Barton for a while and recycle/bank his wages for future use. That is of course presuming that someone comes in for Barton. (Exeter are short of players in midfield as well as at the back currently)

If someone comes in for Bennett and he wants first team football then equally I could see this happen. I noted with interest that Cook made Bennett captain last night at Yeovil and suspected that was done to send a message to him that he was still very much valued and wanted at Pompey. My suspicious mind suspects that Bennett's agent will have been on the phone during this month drumming up business and Bennett not making the 18 man squad at Exeter won't have gone unnoticed. I could see a team such as Doncaster or Luton (budgets and playing style) seriously considering adding someone like Bennett to their push for promotion this year.

I could see a loan move until January too to gain first team experience for all or any of Tollitt, May or Close.

We shall see what happens in the next few hours....
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

A potential signing I would like Pompey to make would be to loan Hiram Boateng from Palace for the season / until January.

I thought he did an excellent job for Plymouth last year and bossed the midfield against us in both playoff games last year. He would provide excellent cover for Doyle and allow us to rest him in the odd game or two to keep him fresh (I thought he would have benefited from missing the odd game last year but we had no-one who could really replace him).

He would also be an excellent sub to have on the bench to add bite to midfield when we need to (including protecting a lead away from home).

realistically he is not going to get games for Palace.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I don't really see Pompey making any signings today. The squad is full.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I reckon we'll snap up Jermaine Defoe, just before midnight, for around £7M.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

RubiconCSL wrote:I reckon we'll snap up Jermaine Defoe, just before midnight, for around £7M.
:lol: I am on my way now to stake out the Marriott. Can someone cover Port Solent?
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Well Hiram Boateng is out of the window because he has just joined Bristol Rovers on loan.

And strangely after the way they linked up last season this baffles me. Yesterday Caolan Lavery joined Sheffield United . Then today United ship out Marc McNulty to Bradford City on loan.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Interesting about Boetang. He is there until 2 Jan.

I thought it was odd too that Lavery joins Sheff Utd and then in the same day McNulty leaves on loan to Bradford.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Well predicted Jack Tinn.

Adam Barton joins Partick Thistle on a 3 year deal for an undisclosed fee.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

rumourmonger wrote:Well predicted Jack Tinn.

Didn't we get Barton on a free ? If so does this provide funds to bring someone in or just surplus to requirements so sold on.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Guernsey Blue »

Dom Hyam, Scotland U21 centre back, signed on loan from Reading.

Makes a bit more sense of the Barton thing I guess.
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

rumourmonger wrote:Well predicted Jack Tinn.

Thank you. I think this is a good outcome for all involved. Barton gets first team football and we clear his wages from the budget and also get a few pennies back for the coffers.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

missed the loan offer for Joe Hart did we?

Just as well....Butterfingers off to Italy
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Adam Barton never seemed to have a role at Pompey. He was behind a succession of players in DMF (Atangana, Close, Hollands, Rose) and was never going to be more than a backup at CB. Good luck to him at Thistle.

Dom Hyam is a weird one. 20 and never played once for Reading, and plenty of CB competition at Pompey where there are already four good CBs. I can't see him being rushed into the team outside the #BTeamBoycott Cup. Does anyone know if he can play FB, as there could be a role there?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I see that it is just until January, so could it be belt and braces just in case Jack W doesn't return as quickly as hoped?