Pompey team v Burton Albion

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 73 times

Pompey team v Burton Albion

Post by Selsey Bill »

Looks like 4 - 2 - 3 - 1

Jones

Wynter, Ertl, Robinson, Shorey

Hollands, Dunne

Wallace, Westcarr, Holmes

Taylor

Subs: Poke, Webster, Devera, Butler, Close, storey, Agyemang

Sky Sports have just tweeted our team - there's a first!
Macedonian_pompey
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Pompey team v Burton Albion

Post by Macedonian_pompey »

http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?mat ... art=sports

Here are a couple of links for the game.
"You can break many things, but you can't break our spirit"-Avram Grant POMPEY LEGEND

You dont have to be mad to support pompey......but it helps
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

That is why we are not going to win the league. Played well and created loads of chances but we just don't have a top goalscorer. We need to get one in or we are ultimately going to have a disappointing season.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Did we create anything really clear cut?

First I've seen of us this season I found there to be a lack of movement and pedestrian.
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

Burton showed just what teamwork is all about, they were a well oiled machine while we were like a rusty old bike. Our reaction times are slow to say the least, while we were looking at the ball they were getting possession. They latched onto practically every forward ball even hasty clearances and had a purpose that we obviously lacked.
I think the priority now is to settle on a 'team', we will never build any sort of cohesion all the time formations and players are constantly being changed and until that happens we will suffer more Newport & Burton moments than Yeovil ones.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

pompeymick wrote:Burton showed just what teamwork is all about, they were a well oiled machine while we were like a rusty old bike. Our reaction times are slow to say the least, while we were looking at the ball they were getting possession. They latched onto practically every forward ball even hasty clearances and had a purpose that we obviously lacked.
I think the priority now is to settle on a 'team', we will never build any sort of cohesion all the time formations and players are constantly being changed and until that happens we will suffer more Newport & Burton moments than Yeovil ones.
Been saying just this walking back from the ground.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

pompeymick wrote:Burton showed just what teamwork is all about, they were a well oiled machine while we were like a rusty old bike. Our reaction times are slow to say the least, while we were looking at the ball they were getting possession. They latched onto practically every forward ball even hasty clearances and had a purpose that we obviously lacked.
True, but I think that is being a little generous to Burton. All I saw was them continually lumping the ball high to a forward line far more physical than our defence. It was the worst kind of schoolboy playground stuff, hoof and chase. Unfortunately Pompey's problem seems to be the same as last year. We can outplay teams that want to keep it on the deck, but against teams like Burton (and Newport and Fleetwood etc) which fill their ranks with muscle and bypass our midfield with a long punt, we're going to struggle. At this level, we just don't have enough quality to soak it up and play possession football for 90 mins consistently.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Weybridge wrote:
True, but I think that is being a little generous to Burton. All I saw was them continually lumping the ball high to a forward line far more physical than our defence. It was the worst kind of schoolboy playground stuff, hoof and chase. Unfortunately Pompey's problem seems to be the same as last year. We can outplay teams that want to keep it on the deck, but against teams like Burton (and Newport and Fleetwood etc) which fill their ranks with muscle and bypass our midfield with a long punt, we're going to struggle. At this level, we just don't have enough quality to soak it up and play possession football for 90 mins consistently.
Whichever of these is closer to being the case, this is where Andy earns his keep. I reckon everyone will be looking for something a bit more positive next week and it's AA's job to get the players to deliver it.

On today's game, I'd have been well happy to take a point from an away match against a strong, in-form team, so in my mind, it is only one point dropped.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I'd have Whatmough & Antangana in if fit next saturday, Holmes out & maybe stick Taylor wide left where he did ok last season. I'd also rest Shorey who is getting done for pace far too often for my liking. So Butler in as well. If Antangana isn't quite fit enough I'd have no qualms about playing Jonny Ertl in midfield, he was a plus today. Good passing & a cool head @ the back & took the easy option when required. My MoM today.
We need to start @ a better pace & be more dynamic, today we looked lethargic from the 1st whistle.