Wrexham

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 66 times

Wrexham

Post by eltorrro »

Anybody watching?
This is the way to play football in the lower leagues.
Wrexham from the National League playing better football than Championship Sheffield Utd
They may not win but they play much better football then Pompey...direct and fast, hardly any back-passing!!
Great to watch
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Wrexham

Post by Sam_Brown »

Was going to post a topic on this. They seem to be building something special there.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pompey55 »

That may be the case but I’d like to see how they conform to FFP it reminds me of Salford coming up from the National League in the same manner
Also the cynic in me asks what happens when the Hollywood owners no longer have a tv documentary to promote and sell to Disney
And why with our Disney connections we couldn’t have got a tv deal :twisted:
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I agree it was an exciting game with plenty of incident, I am not sure what the sending off was all about though. I think what helped making it exciting was the contrast of styles. I thought Sheffield United played the more cultured football while Wrexham played the lower league stuff with the odd bit of cultured football. I thought you could definitely tell the difference where each team plays its football. I thought Wrexham made it exciting by the way they moved the ball forward with lots of long ball into the area. They were playing the percentage game with many of the long balls, which teams that don't possess players that are more talented often use. I agree it was refreshing to see a game without the endless passing that exist higher up the levels and I agree Pompey, along with many other teams, could learn from. If a team doesn't have players that can unlock opponents with cute passes then punting the ball forward is the next best thing in my opinion, as long as you have enough forwards on the pitch who will battle for each punt.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:53 pm I agree it was an exciting game with plenty of incident, I am not sure what the sending off was all about though. I think what helped making it exciting was the contrast of styles. I thought Sheffield United played the more cultured football while Wrexham played the lower league stuff with the odd bit of cultured football. I thought you could definitely tell the difference where each team plays its football. I thought Wrexham made it exciting by the way they moved the ball forward with lots of long ball into the area. They were playing the percentage game with many of the long balls, which teams that don't possess players that are more talented often use. I agree it was refreshing to see a game without the endless passing that exist higher up the levels and I agree Pompey, along with many other teams, could learn from. If a team doesn't have players that can unlock opponents with cute passes then punting the ball forward is the next best thing in my opinion, as long as you have enough forwards on the pitch who will battle for each punt.
Yesterday was probably a prime example of this at Peterborough, the last 5-10 mins we were just lumping it route one and Peterborough were all over the place trying to hang on
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

is that the wrexham who again banged on about how proudly welsh they are, with their yankee owners, playing in the English FA cup :thumb
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:20 am is that the wrexham who again banged on about how proudly welsh they are, with their yankee owners, playing in the English FA cup :thumb
You missed and have sold their soul to Disney for the benefit of their American owners
And please no jokes about us and the Eisners
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I see that Wrexham lost out on funding from the latest Levelling Up round of bids - for a new stand....
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:23 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:20 am is that the wrexham who again banged on about how proudly welsh they are, with their yankee owners, playing in the English FA cup :thumb
You missed and have sold their soul to Disney for the benefit of their American owners
And please no jokes about us and the Eisners
according to GMB news this morning Ryan Reynold wrote all the Xmen films :shock:

Maybe Donald was a welsh duck
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by New Forester »

Even with just three minutes left I was convinced there would be an equaliser. Great game to watch. Just pleased I wasn’t a supporter of either team. Tension must have been unbearable.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb