Sean Raggett

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Sean Raggett

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:32 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:59 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:38 am Most managers want their own men in the team and generally replace their predecessor's incumbants over time. In our case the players from the Cowley era have been replaced by better players. Presently I can only think of Colby Bishop as the only regular surviving player from the previous era, but he is under contract. Of the others Morrell and Swanson have not had their options taken up but are considering the new contract offers, although it appears Morrell is not too happy with his offer. Then there is Pack and Ogilvie discussing new contracts, so it remains to be seen how attractive these players find these offers. Obviously we have got to get better quality players in now so I wonder if Bishop will be playing for us next season with the club, possibly, open to offers.

What I did find surprising was that several of the players released or had club options on their contracts are players that, in my opinion, are capable of playing in the next level. I think Swanson has undoubtedly got potential and I hope that his contract offer is accepted by him. I think a clean sweep is also underway with higher quality on the shopping list. It seems the turnround in playing staff is going to be, probably, the biggest in recent seasons.
Good post. I’m curious in general how much player turnover there is from promoted clubs to the championship. I’m not really sure how much more difficult the championship is over league one. Is it as much a step up from the championship to the prem?
I am not sure what the step up is really like but teams that are relegated from the Championship to League One are generally amongst the front runners the following season. I would think the step up from League One is quite steep when you take into consideration the opposition we will be up against. We will be playing teams that have been, quite recently, in the Premiership who will still have good class players. Every League will be a step up from the one just below it by virtue of the fact the teams in it are too good to be in the one below it, apart from the relegated ones of course. But even then you would expect them to be amongst the front runners of the league they are relegated to. Most players playing at Championship level are there because they are not quite good enough for the Premiership but too good for League One. Let's face it we used to wet ourselves when we were supposedly interested in signing a 'Championship' player. I would class the football in the Championship as a rougher version of Premiership football and League One a more refined version of lower league football.

In short I haven't really got a clue except to say that Championship football is more gooder than League One football.
It's not only the quality of players relegated clubs retain but the ongoing imbalance caused by parachute payments enabling those clubs to more spend than most others without falling foul of FFP.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Mickemo »

Apparently there are several teams in the Championship facing financial challenges (including Soton) so even with the parachute payments it can be a tough div to operate.

I agree that Swanson and Morrell situation is contract driven rather than ability as both care capable of playing in the Championship IMHO (same too goes for Rafferty).

The new broom is sweeping clean it seems, I have confidence in the Club and looking forward to some good signings…not all will be marquee e.g. Shaughnessy last summer and what a signing he turned out to be.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:58 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:32 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:59 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:38 am Most managers want their own men in the team and generally replace their predecessor's incumbants over time. In our case the players from the Cowley era have been replaced by better players. Presently I can only think of Colby Bishop as the only regular surviving player from the previous era, but he is under contract. Of the others Morrell and Swanson have not had their options taken up but are considering the new contract offers, although it appears Morrell is not too happy with his offer. Then there is Pack and Ogilvie discussing new contracts, so it remains to be seen how attractive these players find these offers. Obviously we have got to get better quality players in now so I wonder if Bishop will be playing for us next season with the club, possibly, open to offers.

What I did find surprising was that several of the players released or had club options on their contracts are players that, in my opinion, are capable of playing in the next level. I think Swanson has undoubtedly got potential and I hope that his contract offer is accepted by him. I think a clean sweep is also underway with higher quality on the shopping list. It seems the turnround in playing staff is going to be, probably, the biggest in recent seasons.
Good post. I’m curious in general how much player turnover there is from promoted clubs to the championship. I’m not really sure how much more difficult the championship is over league one. Is it as much a step up from the championship to the prem?
I am not sure what the step up is really like but teams that are relegated from the Championship to League One are generally amongst the front runners the following season. I would think the step up from League One is quite steep when you take into consideration the opposition we will be up against. We will be playing teams that have been, quite recently, in the Premiership who will still have good class players. Every League will be a step up from the one just below it by virtue of the fact the teams in it are too good to be in the one below it, apart from the relegated ones of course. But even then you would expect them to be amongst the front runners of the league they are relegated to. Most players playing at Championship level are there because they are not quite good enough for the Premiership but too good for League One. Let's face it we used to wet ourselves when we were supposedly interested in signing a 'Championship' player. I would class the football in the Championship as a rougher version of Premiership football and League One a more refined version of lower league football.

In short I haven't really got a clue except to say that Championship football is more gooder than League One football.
It's not only the quality of players relegated clubs retain but the ongoing imbalance caused by parachute payments enabling those clubs to more spend than most others without falling foul of FFP.
Of course, there are a plethora of reasons why the Championship is tougher than being in League One and one of the is finance. Most clubs have, or will, over spend. There will also be clubs that, as you say, will be enriched by parachute payments although burdened in some cases with the need to unload expensive players. What will make it a bit easier for us, of course, is having players that can play at that level.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:56 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:00 am
Blue Walter wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:01 pm
PeteM wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:32 pm Yeah, totally agree. The character he's shown (not to mention his performance levels) will make him a very attractive signing to almost anyone in League One next season. Probably for the best that he leaves this summer on a high than end up being fourth or fifth choice centre back next season and drifts away without the same fanfare.

Gave the club great service and has always conducted himself well on and off the pitch - very good professional.
I agree with everything you have said but, I suppose, the most telling thing in your post is where you say "attractive signing with almost anyone in League One". We are, of course, a Championship team and our need is for players of that standard. While I agree Raggett deserved a new contract, and would have been a dependable player off the bench, I think he would have struggled having a run in the side next season.
I dont have any doubt that the supporters and the staff would have loved to have kept Raggs around for at least another year, but like you say he wasnt going to get regular game time and I think he is a player who needs / wants to play every minute. the fact that he knew his time was up shows that too. He will go to a league 1, possibly league 2 side and be a stalwart for their defence next season, and I wish him every success in whatever he does

Also I think the motives behind this decision is as much for the good of Raggett himself. Being a free agent at his age now he could get a decent two, or maybe three, contract at a good club. Leaving it for another year or two weakens his bargaining point. Perhaps he may go back to his roots and play for Gillingham which, incidently, is the club I should support because that is where I am from originally.
i can see the cowleys trying to get him to colchester to be honest
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Mickemo »

IMHO he is still a decent CB at L1 level and I’d be surprised to see him drop down to L2, maybe he would given his history and relationship with the Cowleys.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Mickemo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:56 pm IMHO he is still a decent CB at L1 level and I’d be surprised to see him drop down to L2, maybe he would given his history and relationship with the Cowleys.
Or Gillingham, his hometown club. I think he will get loads of offers but I think he may well want to stay relatively local to here or back to where he started. He may be interested in a club that has a good chance of promotion too.