Retained List - Announced.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Retained List - Announced.

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: Retained List - Announced.

Post by phat_chris »

So as things stand we have:

GK: Norris, Steward
RB: No one
CB: Poole, Shaughnessy, McIntyre, Towler
LB: Ogilvie (if he signs), Sparkes
CM: Pack (if he signs), Moxon, Lowery, Devlin, Stevenson
AM: Lane, Lang, Whyte, Scully, Saydee
CF: Bishop, Yengi

I'm pretty shocked we haven't taken up the options for Morrell and Swanson, but if that means we can negotiate longer contracts with both then I'll be happy with that. I'm also really shocked Rafferty didn't get offered a contract as he is a class act. Maybe we already have someone lined up to fill that position.

So we need a keeper, 2 RB, a LB if Ogilvie doesn't sign, I'd like to see us sign a quality CM player (Robertson again please Man City) and we need 2 AM players plus another Forward. Hughes and the recruitment team have their work cut out for them, but I have full confidence they will bring in who we need.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

phat_chris wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:36 pm So as things stand we have:

I'm pretty shocked we haven't taken up the options for Morrell and Swanson, but if that means we can negotiate longer contracts with both then I'll be happy with that. I'm also really shocked Rafferty didn't get offered a contract as he is a class act. Maybe we already have someone lined up to fill that position.

So we need a keeper, 2 RB, a LB if Ogilvie doesn't sign, I'd like to see us sign a quality CM player (Robertson again please Man City) and we need 2 AM players plus another Forward. Hughes and the recruitment team have their work cut out for them, but I have full confidence they will bring in who we need.
I'd thought full back was where we needed to add some quality anyway. I think both lack the pace required to be the type of full backs we play with in the league above.

Swanson hasn't been able to stay fit enough this season, so suspect there might be a bit of concern on our part about that.

Both Morrell and Swanson were also signed before Richard Hughes so perhaps we prefer to structure our deals differently these days. Of course we might want to tie them down to longer deals, and we can always just trigger the extension if guess if the clock runs down.

You can name more players on the bench in the championship can't you?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pompey55 »

phat_chris wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:36 pm So as things stand we have:

CM looks extremely weak at present without Morrell
Pack I can't see being up to playing every game
Moxon pretty much unproven at league one level let alone championship one for the future
Devlin as per Moxon but could I suspect be groomed as a RB. one for the future
Stevenson pretty much crap every time I saw him last year no future at championship or league one level
Lowery when fit a championship class player emphasis on when fit
CB well covered
Keeper Steward will again go on loan
AM midfield Scully and Whyte both a waste of a squad number based on last season
LB Ogilvie but Sparkes is more of a wing back than a defender
Looks like Hughes and co will hopefully have been busy as otherwise next season will be interesting to say the least
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 388 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:27 pm
phat_chris wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:36 pm
AM midfield Scully and Whyte both a waste of a squad number based on last season
A little harsh if I may say so.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:25 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:27 pm
phat_chris wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:36 pm
A little harsh if I may say so.
I think both of these players haven't lived up to their reputation they were supposed to have been our "Marquee" signings I know JM still has a lot of faith in Whyte. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if JM had a lot to do with signing him and he must feel a little bit let down. They have had all season to prove themselves will they come good this season?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I can sort of understand the feeling about Whyte, but I think with Scully it's pretty harsh - he's not played enough to make a judgement.

He didn't look a bad player in the time he has had on the pitch.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

Improbable speculation alert: The Rafferty decision has continued to perplex me and I assume someone so dependable would only be released if the recruitment team already have an "upgrade" target lined up. It struck me this morning that it might be Joel Ward, he's out of contact this summer, maybe he fancies a return for a season or 2?