Staying at the club

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 50 times

Staying at the club

Post by phat_chris »

Steward signs a new 2 year deal with the option of a further year.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 162 times

Re: Staying at the club

Post by Pompey55 »

Ogilvie and Pack offered new contracts
Morrell and Swanson the option not taken up by the club but ongoing negotiations on new contracts
All other out of contract players and academy scholars released
Guess Scully Stevenson and Whyte being under contract makes it difficult to rid of them maybe after pre season a decision will be made if they will be in the match day squad or our up for loan/sale
Quite honestly based on this season I would have hoped to see them in their way out already to free up funds for useful players
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I am intrigued by the club not taking up the options on both Morrell & Swanson. I would assume that not taking the options up make both players free agents as it stands. This means we run the risk of losing them if they get a better offer. I wonder whether the club want to tie them down to a longer contracts or the club is not totally committed to keeping them. I thought that Swanson was being groomed to take over from Rafferty and was seen as an 'asset', not a term I like. With Rafferty going I would have assumed that Swanson was, basically, being promoted. I have always thought Morrell is Championship ready with his international experience making him a valuable player to have for our step up.

I feel really sorry for both Rafferty and Raggett not being offered new contracts as they both have said they wanted to stay. I suppose that the thinking behind Raggett was that he wasn't really up to Championship standard and would be no more than a back up player. I am surprised at Rafferty not being offered a new deal as I thought he was a class above League One. The club obviously have a plan in place so it is going to be very interesting what the new Championship squad will look like.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:47 pm I am intrigued by the club not taking up the options on both Morrell & Swanson. I would assume that not taking the options up make both players free agents as it stands. This means we run the risk of losing them if they get a better offer. I wonder whether the club want to tie them down to a longer contracts or the club is not totally committed to keeping them. I thought that Swanson was being groomed to take over from Rafferty and was seen as an 'asset', not a term I like. With Rafferty going I would have assumed that Swanson was, basically, being promoted. I have always thought Morrell is Championship ready with his international experience making him a valuable player to have for our step up.

I feel really sorry for both Rafferty and Raggett not being offered new contracts as they both have said they wanted to stay. I suppose that the thinking behind Raggett was that he wasn't really up to Championship standard and would be no more than a back up player. I am surprised at Rafferty not being offered a new deal as I thought he was a class above League One. The club obviously have a plan in place so it is going to be very interesting what the new Championship squad will look like.
There is another option, that the club don't feel the conditions of the extension are favourable to the club.

What it does mean is we are definitely going to be after a right back.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:47 pm I am intrigued by the club not taking up the options on both Morrell & Swanson. I would assume that not taking the options up make both players free agents as it stands. This means we run the risk of losing them if they get a better offer. I wonder whether the club want to tie them down to a longer contracts or the club is not totally committed to keeping them. I thought that Swanson was being groomed to take over from Rafferty and was seen as an 'asset', not a term I like. With Rafferty going I would have assumed that Swanson was, basically, being promoted. I have always thought Morrell is Championship ready with his international experience making him a valuable player to have for our step up.

The Swanson Morrell situation is indeed confusing obviously they are contracted until the end of June as it stands so not free agents as such
My concern is that by not taking up the options has a touch of the "Curtis" situation last season whereby there is a new contract on the table but at less favourable terms than their current option due to injury issues last season and we could easily lose them in a similar manner.
Losing Morrell in such a manner would be a shame as I consider him the pick of our current midfield but never mind we always have Stevenson to cover his loss!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:59 pm

There is another option, that the club don't feel the conditions of the extension are favourable to the club.

What it does mean is we are definitely going to be after a right back.
Yes of course that could be another explanation but whatever the conditions built into the original contracts for the players were, in fact, options offered by the club on the outset. Gaining promotion by the club would have been in consideration when the options were offered to the players initially.

One thing this current administration of the club are not short of is the planning ahead. I consider both these players to be Championship class players and good players at that, so I would have thought that contingency plans would have been laid already should either or both players leave the club. I think it is obvious that a new right back will be brought in, quite possibly two.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

I guess, even at this early stage, management will have new players selected and possibly even an agreement knowing how well prepared and proactive they are. And surely those players must be considered better than those released??

What an intruiging time it is for everybody...players, management and supporters.

As they say...watch this space!! :shock: