Who stays and who goes?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PompeyRex44
Collins Mbesuma

Who stays and who goes?

Post by PompeyRex44 »

Realistalky speaking who do we think will stay and who do we think/hope will go?

I think some of the fringe will go like Scully, Whyte, Stevenson etc and I got a horrible feeling we have seen the last of Raggs maybe/potentially?

Who do you want to stay or leave?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Who stays and who goes?

Post by jam tomorrow »

Here is my pennies worth the hard decisions were Lowery, Macey, Ogilvie, but we need a better midfield also more pace in defence and upfront, I like Norris but I think we need more quality keeper. Evans is a risk but I believe he will come good, Saydee I was undecided about but the last few games have won me over.

Norris - Keep as back up only
Macey - Out
Schofield - Out
Steward - New contract and loan out
Rafferty - Offer 1 yr deal
Swanson - Keep as squad player
Vincent - Out
Ogilvie - Out
Sparkes - Transfer list
Mnonga - Out
Poole - Keep
McIntyre - Keep
Shaughnessy - Keep
Raggett - Offer 1 yr deal.
Towler - Keep/loan out
Pack - Keep
Moxon - Keep
Evans - New contract
Morrell - Keep
Stevenson - Transfer list
Lowery - Transfer list
Devlin - Keep/Loan out
Jewel-White - Transfer List
Scully - Out
Whyte - Out
Lane - Keep
Lang - Keep
Martin - Out
Saydee - Keep
Yengi - Keep
Bishop - Keep
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Unfortunately Whyte and Scully are still under contract so out is only an option if we pay up their contracts so we would need to transfer list them. Scully would not really attract much interest with his injury record and unless Whyte sorts out his personal issues the same would apply.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Blue Walter »

This is the stage where loyalty and good will goes out the window to a certain degree. Clubs that get promoted will generally need to upgrade their playing staff. Some players that were celebrating with supporters will now be told that they are no longer required. Looking at Jam's list shows that quite graphically in this way of thinking, although I don't agree with all his choices.

I personally feel that we could get by with Norris and, if Macey is still unwanted at Luton, they could compete for the keeper's role. For right back I would offer Rafferty a 3 year deal as, in my opinion he is Championship class, with Swanson ready to claim pole position in that period. Left back is a conundrum because I think Ogilvie will struggle in the Championship but he is the best left back we have got. I think we would need to strengthen there with Ogilvie as back up with a new contract. Central defence is good enough in my view and I rather hope Raggett is given a new contract as back up to Poole & Shaughnessy. I think Towler has potential and should be kept. Shaughnessy has had a fantastic season but the rigorous of the Championship may find him out and I think Towler is ready made to step in. Poole needs the Championship, where I think he will flourish. Midfield is going to be very interesting because there is a possibility that Robertson could be back. That would give us Morrell, Moxon & Pack already here but I wonder about Pack being as effective in the Championship. He has operated there before of course but dropped to League One because he wasn't getting game time. I know he came back to help his hometown club, but would he have come back if there was a Championship offer? I don't know if he will be able to play a full Championship season. I don't think Moxon is a Championship player and is very much a League One player. However, I think he has presence and could impose himself on games and is worth a place, but consider any offers for him. I think midfield will need to be strengthened by an established player with pace. Attack is an area which is an enigma really. I think Bishop will struggle with the step up in class but his work rate will help. I think next season will define just what potential Yengi has, it could be a breakthrough or a breakdown for him. Lane will obviously find it tougher going because he doesn't really possess much pace or trickery but he has goals and room to grow. Heaven knows what to say about Saydee. He started last season like a clumsy hard working oaf but then started to show he has qualities well beyond that. Personally I think he is a must to unleash on the Championship to see just what he has got. Obviously we have to replace Kamara and replace him with quality. He was very much our menace in chief this last season and I worry that our forward line could be blunt without him or his like.

Devlin is still in the same category as last season and has room to grow. Some players can struggle at the lower level but find the step up is more to their strengths. I think Sparkes may well find the step up to his benefit, but not at full back as I don't rate him in that position. I think his most prolific work is in his ability to deliver crosses, but I don't know whether he has the ability to make incisive passes that are more often used the higher you go. If he doesn't possess that skill I don't think his crossing ability would be enough to carry him through as there is less reliance on balls into the box In the Championship than League One. I personally think we should consider offers for him. I think we are saddled with Whyte & Scully due to their contracts and I would think we will do well to get them off the wage bill. I think we should listen to offers for Lowery but he may be one of these players who will do better in the higher level. I think Lang is ready made for the Championship but I am not sure in what position. I think we should get Stewart tied down as soon as possible as two clubs have virtually got season tickets at Privett Park. Evans has got good Championship experience which could make him a decent signing but I think Stevenson was a poor signing and would unload.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Intrigued by what will be the outcome of all this. I suspect that Mous will be ruthless. In fact, he needs to be to protect his future, and the club's league status. Sentimentality has to go out of the window. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a mass clear out, including some fans' favourites (e.g. Raggett) and I suspect we could end up seeing only a handful of our current squad in our starting 11 for the opening game next season - e.g. Norris, Shaughnessy, Lang, Bishop/Lane. Hopefully we will also get Robertson and Anjorin back on loan. I also think the likes of Ogilvie and Rafferty could be gone, along with Raggs. They won't want a 1 year deal which is all they are likely to get at best. Also, what about Marlon? Does he have the legs for the Championship? Not convinced. I'd release the following, and think Mous will: Haji Mnoga, Josh Martin, Ryan Schofield, Liam Vincent, Josh Dockerill, Harry Jewitt-White. I'd personally retain Matt Macey, Zak Swanson, Joe Morrell and Lee Evans. Having said all of the above, I 100% trust in Mous and Hughes, so can't wait to see what they decide to do and then will get behind the team again for next season. PUP.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:56 pm Intrigued by what will be the outcome of all this. I suspect that Mous will be ruthless. In fact, he needs to be to protect his future, and the club's league status. Sentimentality has to go out of the window. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a mass clear out, including some fans' favourites (e.g. Raggett) and I suspect we could end up seeing only a handful of our current squad in our starting 11 for the opening game next season - e.g. Norris, Shaughnessy, Lang, Bishop/Lane. Hopefully we will also get Robertson and Anjorin back on loan. I also think the likes of Ogilvie and Rafferty could be gone, along with Raggs. They won't want a 1 year deal which is all they are likely to get at best. Also, what about Marlon? Does he have the legs for the Championship? Not convinced. I'd release the following, and think Mous will: Haji Mnoga, Josh Martin, Ryan Schofield, Liam Vincent, Josh Dockerill, Harry Jewitt-White. I'd personally retain Matt Macey, Zak Swanson, Joe Morrell and Lee Evans. Having said all of the above, I 100% trust in Mous and Hughes, so can't wait to see what they decide to do and then will get behind the team again for next season. PUP.
I agree, I think most will be gone.

I have wondered if Pack will retire, go out at the top. If he does retire, would we see Evans come in as a replacement?

Suspect we will find out later today.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Rumour going round that out of contracts 4 retained 10 will go don’t know names I think it would be safe to say Martin Stevenson Schofield will be in the 10
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:08 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:56 pm Intrigued by what will be the outcome of all this. I suspect that Mous will be ruthless. In fact, he needs to be to protect his future, and the club's league status. Sentimentality has to go out of the window. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a mass clear out, including some fans' favourites (e.g. Raggett) and I suspect we could end up seeing only a handful of our current squad in our starting 11 for the opening game next season - e.g. Norris, Shaughnessy, Lang, Bishop/Lane. Hopefully we will also get Robertson and Anjorin back on loan. I also think the likes of Ogilvie and Rafferty could be gone, along with Raggs. They won't want a 1 year deal which is all they are likely to get at best. Also, what about Marlon? Does he have the legs for the Championship? Not convinced. I'd release the following, and think Mous will: Haji Mnoga, Josh Martin, Ryan Schofield, Liam Vincent, Josh Dockerill, Harry Jewitt-White. I'd personally retain Matt Macey, Zak Swanson, Joe Morrell and Lee Evans. Having said all of the above, I 100% trust in Mous and Hughes, so can't wait to see what they decide to do and then will get behind the team again for next season. PUP.
I have wondered if Pack will retire, go out at the top. If he does retire, would we see Evans come in as a replacement?
One of my mates is on the waiting list for season tickets and praying Marlon retires. He reckons that could free up about 100 seats :rofl :lol:
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Selsey Bill wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:40 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:08 pm
One of my mates is on the waiting list for season tickets and praying Marlon retires. He reckons that could free up about 100 seats :rofl :lol:
😂 😂 😂

I’ve got a feeling that won’t happen but I can see Marlon only playing off and on l think we might be losing Rafferty and Ogilvie and getting pacier full backs plus a midfielder like Tino to take over some of Pack’s duties. JM is happy with our strikers and Saydee stays
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Retained list out tomorrow according to the news.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

My prediction:

not offered new contract: Schofield, Vincent, Jewitt-White, Mnoga, Martin,

offered one year deal but will turn it down: Raggs, Evans, Macey

offered one year deal and will accept: Pack

offered two year deal 50/50 if they stay: Rafferty, Oglivie,

Options taken up: Morrell, Swanson