Ipswich game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Ipswich game

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:17 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:08 am
WJDPFC wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:02 am WJDPFC wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:56 pm
Unacceptable performance from almost every Pompey player. Only Morrell seemed to be trying. We let better players move out on free transfers than we have brought in. Is Cowley to blame? In part but the Eisners have to also look at themselves. They are supposedly happy to spend millions on infrastructure but ask most fans and they would prefer at least some of that money to go on players, and before we have the 'they shelled out to get us through covid' comment, remember, just about every other club had to cope with the same. Would I rather have money spent on the team with infrastructure sorted over a longer period? Yes I would! Do I care if the capacity is lowered slightly for a while? No, and by the look of the half empty stands 15 mins before the end, it will not even be a problem as crowds will be way lower anyway.

If we lower the capacity we get lower revenue, lower revenue means lower money to spend on the team and infrastructure. We spend on the team then we have nothing left for infrastructure the ground gets shut we have no revenue at all we go bust. Not rocket science.
---- To this response: Can not follow this logic that is apparently so obvious and 'Not Rocket Science' - The gates are going to nosedive because of the horrible performances and the deterioration towards a relegation scrap as opposed to a promotion push. Therefore we will, in the short term not need the ability to support full capacity. So spreading the redevelopment cost over a longer period so as to improve the team is a sensible option. Now that's not too hard to grasp is it?
and where is the money to spend on the team coming from then?? you want us to overspend for some short term gain again ?
I thought we were owned by a billionaire. Putting together a squad capable of promotion wouldn't even make a dent in the interest on his fortune. And it would be extremely exciting and Eisner would be praised. The way it's going he's on course to be hated. The club gets to the championship then it's more valuable. Also the timescale is an issue too. Football is a fast moving business. Do they honestly think the supporters can have the patience to watch drivel week in week out for decades while we eat what we kill brick by brick? Half of us will be dead anyway.
there is this thing called the football fair play rule, where billionaire owners cant just pump loads of money into clubs
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I'm not talking loads of money, look at Ipswich, Sunderland, Wigan. Put together decent squads without spending millions on players. Instead our billionaire has us scraping around in the bargain basement.

What is the point in owning a football club if you aren't prepared to spend money on the team?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

“ but you are suggesting taking action whilst still on the driveway, not anywhere near the potential crash site yet”

PB We have passed the quarter mark of the season hardly the driveway more on the way to London by now or on the way to the dump
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:32 pm I'm not talking loads of money, look at Ipswich, Sunderland, Wigan. Put together decent squads without spending millions on players. Instead our billionaire has us scraping around in the bargain basement.

What is the point in owning a football club if you aren't prepared to spend money on the team?
and they havent spent a penny since they walked in have they ??
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:39 pm “ but you are suggesting taking action whilst still on the driveway, not anywhere near the potential crash site yet”

PB We have passed the quarter mark of the season hardly the driveway more on the way to London by now or on the way to the dump
Yup, wheels haven't quite come off yet but they're sure getting wobbly.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:44 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:32 pm I'm not talking loads of money, look at Ipswich, Sunderland, Wigan. Put together decent squads without spending millions on players. Instead our billionaire has us scraping around in the bargain basement.

Well I would expect them to spend some money since they bought the sodding club.. Why are you so obtuse?
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:19 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:44 pm

Well I would expect them to spend some money since they bought the sodding club.. Why are you so obtuse?
What was obtuse about that? You continually claim that they haven't spent any money dp you not?
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

Steve Bruce is free..... We seemed to have the league 1 Ole equivalent, doesn't seem to be able to create a team with a common cause, not one for pushing for change (alright I had enough of KJ style of play) but seems out of his depth a bit here, I liked his comment early on when he hears a player saying they are leggy that if a lion jumped out the wouldn't feel leggy then, based on recent performances the lion would get a meal out of most of the squad, has he lost the dressing room ? - the worry would be if we change manager and nothing improves, then what
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

Danny Cowley seems a nice guy and he had some guts to go to the fans after Tuesday's debacle and applaud. But he seems to be echoing the feeling of lost that we heard from Jackett before he was sacked. He admits he doesn't understand why the players are not responding and seems to have run out of ideas about how to fix it.
Couple that with his stubborn persistence with this suicidal back three and his baffling line-ups and substitutions - no Jacobs, no Azeez - and it should ring loud alarm bells to the CEO.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Dinksy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 am Couple that with his stubborn persistence with this suicidal back three...
A few people have said this, and I think it is worth some deeper consideration. At present we only have one genuine CB (Raggett), with both Robertson and Downing injured. Playing five defenders, essentially one CB and four FBs, is a reasonable solution to this problem, and it has worked better in some games than others.

However, even at the start of the season, it was considered reckless to start the year with only three CBs, especially given Downing and Robertson's recent injury records. As an aside, it seems that we placed too many eggs in the Robertson basket as a key defender and the route through which attacks were built; not sensible. The recruitment of another CB should have been a priority, although you can only sign those players who are available and willing to pay the fourth CB role.

In light of all that, letting Whatmough leave during the summer now seems grossly negligent, whether it was the manager or owners who were responsible. We don't know the salary figures involved, but even at a higher level L1 salary, Whatmough would now be worth every penny. At the time I was concerned about him leaving, both from a playing and local player POV, but never thought it would come back to bite them so obviously.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

In light of all that, letting Whatmough leave during the summer now seems grossly negligent, whether it was the manager or owners who were responsible. We don't know the salary figures involved, but even at a higher level L1 salary, Whatmough would now be worth every penny. At the time I was concerned about him leaving, both from a playing and local player POV, but never thought it would come back to bite them so obviously. Quote PP

I think you are ignoring the facts with Whatmough. He had been injured consistantly. He was offered a contract which was designed to counter his injury issues, play a number of games injury free which triggers an extra contract. He chose to go, despite having been "looked after" through his injuries by Pompey. Lets see how he progresses with Wigan
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Greenie
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Greenie »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:21 am In light of all that, letting Whatmough leave during the summer now seems grossly negligent, whether it was the manager or owners who were responsible. We don't know the salary figures involved, but even at a higher level L1 salary, Whatmough would now be worth every penny. At the time I was concerned about him leaving, both from a playing and local player POV, but never thought it would come back to bite them so obviously. Quote PP

I think you are ignoring the facts with Whatmough. He had been injured consistantly. He was offered a contract which was designed to counter his injury issues, play a number of games injury free which triggers an extra contract. He chose to go, despite having been "looked after" through his injuries by Pompey. Lets see how he progresses with Wigan
I always find Whatmough a strange one to get in perspective. He actually made 38 appearances last season so hardly super sick note. He's started all of Wigan's games this season and seems well thought of there.

I was a bit disapointed by a perceived lack of loyalty to the club, but that's just old fashioned thinking from me I guess. We'd all do what was best for us and our families.

I do think the club might've made a more attractive offer to him, it's not like they replaced him with ultra fit/super quality CBs.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Greenie wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:36 am
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:21 am In light of all that, letting Whatmough leave during the summer now seems grossly negligent, whether it was the manager or owners who were responsible. We don't know the salary figures involved, but even at a higher level L1 salary, Whatmough would now be worth every penny. At the time I was concerned about him leaving, both from a playing and local player POV, but never thought it would come back to bite them so obviously. Quote PP

I always find Whatmough a strange one to get in perspective. He actually made 38 appearances last season so hardly super sick note. He's started all of Wigan's games this season and seems well thought of there.

I was a bit disapointed by a perceived lack of loyalty to the club, but that's just old fashioned thinking from me I guess. We'd all do what was best for us and our families.

I do think the club might've made a more attractive offer to him, it's not like they replaced him with ultra fit/super quality CBs.
he did play that many last season, but all the seasons before how many did he play?
Portsmouth looked after him through all of his injuries woes, and gave him a new contract whilst out injured which is something that not a lot of clubs will do.
I dont have any perceptions of disloyalty to portsmouth at all, he did what was right for him and his family, but at the same time it would have been nice for him to say ok thank you for the last few years, i will sign this one and lets look at it in another year, if I play all the games lets negotiate one that isnt based on appearances