Sunderland

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Sunderland

Post by New Forester »

It’s 3.45pm. I think I’ve fallen asleep in my Forest armchair. I’m hearing a voice describing a third goal.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Wow! 3 - 0 up and cruising at half time. Sunderland players and manager trying to get the game abandoned. If it is there will be a riot.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by New Forester »

Just looked at the Sunderland message board. Usual one liners. Majority claiming the pitch is unplayable and the game should be called off.

Must have another look now it’s 4-0.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I can't remember us winning a game in such wet conditions before. I was there for the Leicester game and Wycombe. Hats off to the boys though for being so determined. Makes such a difference to my weekend! :D :D
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Marquis with 2 and an assist. Keep the faith boys.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

:thumb :thumb :thumb
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

The goals from the game:

Portsmouth vs Sunderland [4]-0, Marquis 61' - https://streamable.com/7orjeu
Portsmouth vs Sunderland [3]-0, Marquis 44' - https://streamable.com/pgn9wq
Portsmouth vs Sunderland [2]-0, Brown 33' - https://streamable.com/uop9vd
Portsmouth vs Sunderland [1]-0, Harness 19' - https://streamable.com/lp5zn3

bl**dy hell at those conditions.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:12 pm The goals from the game:

Portsmouth vs Sunderland [4]-0, Marquis 61' - https://streamable.com/7orjeu
Portsmouth vs Sunderland [3]-0, Marquis 44' - https://streamable.com/pgn9wq
Portsmouth vs Sunderland [2]-0, Brown 33' - https://streamable.com/uop9vd
Portsmouth vs Sunderland [1]-0, Harness 19' - https://streamable.com/lp5zn3

bl**dy hell at those conditions.
Cheers for that, enjoyed watching those against a team that has recently been a bit of a rival being in same divisions. Definitely a lot of water in the box.

Was there for the Leicester game many moons ago and looked worse on that day - that game being one I can still get annoyed just thinking about even though years ago.

Let’s hope we’ve turned a corner with a bit of confidence after that and that the playoffs beckon, mid table would definitely feel like a backward step.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 am Having not witnessed a Pompey defeat (in person) for over two years, tomorrow I'm making my first visit to Fratton Park (in almost two years). Question is, will my presence prove to be a good luck charm or a foolish folly on what is forecast to be a very wet and windy afternoon?
Lucky charm it seems. Excellent performance by the blues and a well deserved result. Anyone want to crowd fund a season ticket for me? :wink:
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Quick notes.

Well, that was unexpected. Basically, one team wanted to be out there and the other didn't. As a result Pompey could play the game in the Sunderland half, and if you do that under today's conditions, things will happen.

Maybe if it had been 0-0, the ref might have called it off, but at 3-0 it would have required weather of biblical proportions for that to happen. I think he got fed up with the Sunderland players continually complaining, and they probably did their cause no good at all.

It was notable that one of our best 45 minutes of the season occurred under conditions where Pompey couldn't play a dozen passes between the goalkeeper and defenders before doing anything of a forward nature, letting the defence get set. Instead they had no option but to move forward quickly, and looked all the more threatening for it.

Curtis booked, so he will be suspended, and it will interesting to see what Cowley does as a replacement on the left side: Jacobs? RHF? Harrison?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Other than the 4th goal the conditions weren't that bad with the exception of the north stand Milton end corner.

In years gone by that would have been called off but the pitch held up well all things considered.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pompey55 »

The conditions were as bad as the Leicester game in the early 90 s when the referee openly told our players that he would have called it off if they had no been winning
As I said previously any prior tactics went out of the window we just adapted better to the conditions than they did
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I agree with sentiments of both Pompey Penguin & Pompey 1894+1. I think that the conditions of the first half were perfectly playable, which Pompey won 3-0. Things did deteriate considerably just after the second half started but I did not think the game was in danger once we got to the 75 minute mark. I think we looked much better in getting the ball forward much quicker than usual by cutting out the playing out from the back game. I hope this is something we will adapt when we play in better weather conditions.

Would Sunderland have beaten us if the pitch was more suitable for a more cultured approach? Who knows, but the way Pompey set about this game I think we would have given them a good game anyway. I do agree that the game was ruined as a spectacle by the weather, although I have seen games played in worse. Having said that I do think that if the conditions had prevailed at the start of the match as they were at the end of it then, maybe, it probably should not have taken place.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Remember a mid week game back in the sixties against Middlesborough, conditions just like today. Basil Hayward, normally centre half, played centre forward, got a hat trick, won the game 6-3. Basil was signed by Eddie Lever, but Freddy Cox was manager at that time. The game was an absolute mudbath, driving rain the whole match.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Just checked, it was the first season in Div. 2 1959/60.