Pompey 3 - 3 Coventry

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Pompey 3 - 3 Coventry

Post by Selsey Bill »

Well, I am going to have a little rant now that I have slept on it. I totally agree with Berkshire Blues thoughts in another post, and my lads and I weren’t sure quite how we got to 3-1 up. I thought all over the pitch they were better than us. I’m now a bit concerned to be honest. The positives were Curtis, who was much improved, Haunstrup, and Marquis getting off the mark. But, boy oh boy, Jackett is so negative. If we can’t sort our defence out, we are finishing mid table this season. We won’t go down, but we won’t be threatening the playoffs, let alone gaining automatic promotion.
A few comments about the team:
MacGillivray had no chance with the goals
Mcrorie isn’t a right back, but I’d definitely play him at CM in the next league game
Downing was poor, had no defensive understanding with Raggett and needs Burgess back alongside him. If, and it’s a big IF, Whatmough ever gets fit again he walks into this side
Raggett is the worst defender I’ve seen since Chorley/Devera - he can’t run, can’t kick, can’t do much really. Hopefully, it was a one-off nightmare show and he got overwhelmed by over 18,000 fans inside a floodlit Fratton Park. (About those lights, I'll save my moan about those for another thread!)
Haunstrup was good, as was Naylor, and Curtis was much more like his old self last night
Close. I’ve said this before but is he really all that? Yes, I know he can score the odd worldy goal, but what was he on last night? I thought he was bang average and missing for much of the game, but he’s Fratton’s darling because he is one of our own! Didn’t see free kicks being passed to him, lazy penalty to give away. McCrorie has to come in for him. The Scotsman looked pissed off and disinterested at times last night, but who could blame him. I doubt he thought he’d come down south to play at RB!
Marquis scoring his goal will do him some good, but Jackett doesn’t play to his strengths which is a real worry. Harness was good again but was shattered after an hour and should’ve come off for Pitman or Harrison, with Evans moving out wide. Evans did what Evans does, he didn’t let anyone down.
My main concern with all this is that I can’t see Jackett changing his ways. We already know how stubborn he is. As a consequence, he will prevent a talented squad he has assembled from reaching their potential because of his dinosaur tactics. I’m sitting on the fence at the moment as we are only 4 league games in, but I’m edging towards ‘Jackett out’.
Finally, I understand at the end of the game Pitman walked straight off down the tunnel, giving Jackett a look and without even shaking his hand. Could the dressing room be about to turn?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Pompey 3 - 3 Coventry

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks SB.
Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:52 am Finally, I understand at the end of the game Pitman walked straight off down the tunnel, giving Jackett a look and without even shaking his hand. Could the dressing room be about to turn?
I've not got anything to add to what other have written about the game itself, but didn't notice the above. On the whole, most owners will stick with managers, as changes mid-season cost money and are rarely effective, up to the point where relegation threatens and panic sets in. Assuming that Jackett's job requirement is to reach the play-offs, then there is a long way to go yet. However, all that changes if the crowd starts getting negative and especially if there is evidence that a manager has "lost the dressing room".

I am ambivalent about Jackett, but the question for "manager-out" calls at any club, is who would you want instead that is both available and within a sensible price range?
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:52 am My main concern with all this is that I can’t see Jackett changing his ways. We already know how stubborn he is. As a consequence, he will prevent a talented squad he has assembled from reaching their potential because of his dinosaur tactics. I’m sitting on the fence at the moment as we are only 4 league games in, but I’m edging towards ‘Jackett out’.
Thanks for the report SB - always good to have a rant! I thought after the Southend game last season that KJ wasn't going to be able to get us playing the football required to storm the division and consolidate in the Championship. We need a more positive manager with maybe a more modern mindset. However KJ is the safe pair of hands that the owners seem to want and Catlin said in an interview over the summer that KJ is the dream manager for a CEO. I can't see them changing anything in the short to medium term.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am I am ambivalent about Jackett, but the question for "manager-out" calls at any club, is who would you want instead that is both available and within a sensible price range?
I'd take Michael Appleton back - he did a good job with Oxford getting them playing decent football, has gain valuable coaching experience in the Prem with Leicester, and has unfinished business at Pompey.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:54 am
Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am I am ambivalent about Jackett, but the question for "manager-out" calls at any club, is who would you want instead that is both available and within a sensible price range?
I'd take Michael Appleton back - he did a good job with Oxford getting them playing decent football, has gain valuable coaching experience in the Prem with Leicester, and has unfinished business at Pompey.
Good call.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I think there are plenty of managers out there who would want the job should it become available given the owners we have a f the squad we have amassed, even some we wouldn't expect.

I'm not against Jackett as such, and I think it could work if we had another member of coaching staff in the touchline barking out some orders.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:54 am
I'd take Michael Appleton back too! He has been my favourite coach of recent times, and had to put up with a hell of a lot of crap when he was with us. I don't blame him for moving on when he did one jot. Most wouldn't have stuck around as long as he did. We know MA is very good coach, but I wonder how good a manager he is?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:52 am
Finally, I understand at the end of the game Pitman walked straight off down the tunnel, giving Jackett a look and without even shaking his hand. Could the dressing room be about to turn?
Trouble is SB, the only player with any clout for that probability would be Pitman. Most of the rest are pleased to be in the reckoning to play each week because they know they are barely Lge 1 material (certainly not Championship should we scrape our way there!!) and therefore would not 'rock the boat' against Jackett.
Sorry, unfortunately can't see that scenario happening. 8)
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

In the build up to their first was the guy the mile offside he looked from where I was?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:47 pm In the build up to their first was the guy the mile offside he looked from where I was?
I was late getting in to the ground so missed it, but my lads were already seated and said it was clearly offside.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:52 am
I’m sitting on the fence at the moment as we are only 4 league games in, but I’m edging towards ‘Jackett out’.
Blimey things must be bad if SB is feeling like this !

I agree BTW :thumb

Its early days and we have the players to be a force in this division - just need KJ to work that out PDQ or I fear his stay will be coming to a premature end.

Who mentioned premature... :oops:
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

Hopefully the boo's at the end of the game will get the message across to Jackett, Catlin and the Eisners that things need to change. Jackett needs a positive approach. Am fed up of him bigging up the opposition so much in every pre-match interview. I think it makes us too cautious and doesn't inspire confidence in the squad. I don't want 'gung-ho we can beat anyone' complacency - just be positive and attacking. And FFS start Pitman!
Super Matt Macey in goal...
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Having given it 24 hrs & calmed down I think I can just add that SB's comments mirror mine. All KJ's bad habits came back to haunt us last night. THAT substitution beggared belief, then @ 3-3 he takes Raggett off & brings Pitman on-irony of irony!! He is just too negative @ crucial times, shades of the play off 2nd leg & we desperately need a goal & he fails to use all 3 subs. The man @ these crucial moments fails to deliver. We'll never struggle under him, will he take us up-cant see it.