Michael Eisner tonight

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Michael Eisner tonight

Post by Milton End »

Anyone know if the meeting at the Guildhall tonight is being carried live anywhere?

I have looked at the Express FM and BBC Radio Solent schedules for today - neither makes any mention.

Thank you.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
VFTH
Milan Mandaric

Re: Michael Eisner tonight

Post by VFTH »

On both starting at 7 pm I believe
Smile and those around you smile ..... Laugh and they think you have gone mad

http://www.smile4wessex.org
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Milton End »

VFTH wrote:On both starting at 7 pm I believe
I am trying to find a connection from London. All I am getting is 'loading' at Express FM and Solent are not broadcasting the material at all so far as the internet is concerned.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Milton End »

Many thanks - working well
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

He sounds like a decent bloke and has common sense answers to questions.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

One key concession at least, SO postcodes to be excluded from the final deal. Let's see what the PST Board has to say now.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Milton End »

Perhaps a little early to provide a fully reflective view of the evening. I will leave that hopefully to SB and others.

However, Eisner did a good presentation (watched on the News live link) and it was good to see his sons on the platform, showing that it is not only him involved in the bid.

Eisner was very clear on what he was offering and cautious about a vision for the future. Personally, I was re-assured that he did not make dramatic promises that may (or may not) be kept. He was also very firm about Fratton Park and about building from the academy base.

Interestingly, he was unclear on where and how he would make a profit on his investment. He was really making the point that picking a lower level team and then building was more likely to deliver than investing in a current PL team.

Importantly, he said that he wanted to build slowly and with a good team around him.

But he and his immediate family would keep tight control on how matters developed and take the key decisions. Part of the reason for this related to the complexities of running a large company including tax and asset liabilities. For me, this was understandable but it may not satisfy some people.

Some of the early questions were good. Particularly, the issue of the onward sale to a third party at a later stage. He simply responded that he could not second-guess what would happen if and when this might happen. But he said that his aim was to retain ownership and build the club for many years, which was re-assuring.

The golden share issue was rather muddled as a question. He was very firm about the role and importance of the Heritage Board. However, this response got slightly lost beacuse the question itself was rambling and was poorly phrased.

The separation of ground from club was handled by saying that he could not be restricted for the future. But it was clear from his general stance that he had absolutely no intention of moving beyond Fratton Park for some years - perhaps never.

One or two of the 'questions' at the end were really poor. Councillor Steve Wemyss' (spelling?) aggressive last question was particularly weak and repetitive.

Conclusions for me personally

Overall, Mr Eisner came over as a realistic and persuasive business person.

He would bring a new dimension to English football ownership through his experience and knowledge of the entertainment and sports industries. He was also robust in his protection of Pompey and its heritage.

He was highly supportive of Pompey in the Community, which was similar to his own family Eisner Charitable Foundation.

If I had a share, he would certainly have my vote.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Thanks, Milton End. Good summary.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
BlueinMontreal
Gary O'Neil

Post by BlueinMontreal »

As a lifelong Pompey fan for 55yrs, been away for 30yrs but follow every week on Ex FM etc. I have to thank every single person who put their hands in their pockets to buy shares to save our fantastic club and also those who pay to follow our team week in week out.

But listening to M. Eisner I think this is a great and possibly only opportunity in the foreseeable future to pass the club on to another safe pair of hands

Missed some of the comments as Express FM seemed to have some internet problems, but points he scored on were

Sees this as a very long term investment for himself, children then grandchildren
Does not like debt
Fratton Park development both overhaul and fan match day experience
Developing the academy to a higher level
Backing of Pompey in the Community
Steady but not stupid investment to get Pompey to a higher level
Still wants transparency with the fans

If I could vote it would be yes and judging by the round of applause he got at the end, hope the majority of voters do as well
Co-Author of "Montreal International Firework Competition"
Regular price $30.00 Now ON SALE $20.00
Lone Proton
Robbie Pethick

Post by Lone Proton »

You either trust him (and his lads) or you don't. Simples. If we vote Y & Y our futures are intertwined. I am not a capitalist but I was born into a capitalist World. If anything expresses capitalism it is Rupert Murdoch (Sky), and the FA/EFL Premiership. If Mr. Eisner sees money in selling Pompey to the Yanks I for one will be going on our first US tour. Looking forward to another European tour (Bayern & Zenit away please), and Pompey delivering the next Jimmy Dickinson (Diarra remember him) to the England team within 4 years. Pompey will win the World Cup for us WASP's within six years. Blue Army!

It's classic Disney. A bad dragon/witch or a dream come true.

Only time will tell.

PUP
Attachments
None of us is as dumb as all of us.jpg
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Mickemo »

Earl Grey wrote:Thanks, Milton End. Good summary.
I agree with EG (as always it seems :thumb ) I listened to ME meeting on Express FM and drew pretty much the same conclusions as Milton End

Its a Yes from me !!

PUP
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I don't have time for a full report right now as was late home from the meeting and am now at work. However, Milton End's summation is pretty accurate. Eisner's presentation was as impressive as the questions from the floor weren't. Many of the questions were rambling, many of them were repeating what had already been asked, many of them weren't even questions. Most of them were cringeworthy. Most of them Eisner had already covered. All the Q & A session did for me was to make me want to vote YES more. They played completely into Eisner's hands. Incidentally, Eisner got a standing ovation from at least 70 per cent of the room so taking that as an exit poll I'd say the YES vote will win. (PS. A further mention for Steve Wemyss, Conservative Councillor for Drayton & Farlington, what a complete Dinlo!)

If you were not in the room last night, I don't think you would have heard the second half of the evening as Express and Solent were not allowed to cover it. There was somebody streaming it which one of my sons managed to find though. Anyway, that session was the PST board presenting its case to the audience, of which at least 15% had already left because it wasn't made very clear that it was actually happening once Eisner had finished.

Anyway, I found that second session fascinating. Before I go any further, these are only my views/observations, and I could be completely wrong in my assumptions. However, for me it was blatantly obvious that the board is split, and it felt in an uneasy way. This is something else that could potentially be taken into consideration if you wee thinking of voting NO? Ashley Brown chaired this meeting, and remained impartial which I found strange bearing in mind he had put out a message to the shareholder, fans, etc implying that he was not in favour of the takeover a few days previously. He did try to back track on this, but it didn't wash for me. Then Mike Saunders stood up and talked about the Stadium (He is responsible for Stadium & Infrastructure). Whilst he didn't say so much, he clearly is in the NO camp. He believes the club has over egged the potential cost for repairs (the £5m that has been bandied about) and that there has been a degree of scaremongering. He could be right! Then the Treasurer, Simon Colebrook presented his case. Again, he didn't say so much, but I got the feeling he was in the NO camp. He was followed by Eric Coleborn who I don't think had been scheduled to speak (he had no slides). After eulogising about Michael Eisner and his offer, he came straight out with his recommendation to vote YES. Eric has 100 shares so maybe he needs his £100k back!!! His recommendation was met with one or two jeers, understandably so as these guys were meant to be impartial. Then there was another Q & A session, and they were as bad as the ones in the first session. I left at about 10.15 as I had heard enough by then.

After much recent deliberating, soul searching and head v heart discussions with myself, I had already formulated a good idea which way I was going to vote before last night, but now I am certain.

Play up Pompey

PS Paul Cook was there last night which impressed me.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Two quick points, Bill.

1 - Were you still there when the 'Foundation of Hearts' scheme (see my post in Franco's thread) was outlined?
2 - Ref Paul Cook, can I counter by saying I'd have been bl**dy unimpressed if he hadn't been there last night!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Actually, a third point. I totally agree that many of the questions were cringe worthy. The debate would have been better served if, instead of people queuing to ask their (repetitive) questions, a broader range of pre-submitted questions had been posed to the Eisners.

And finally, one speaker made much of the fact that no previous potential buyer had made such a direct 'pitch' to the fans, but the Eisners/Tornante weren't just pitching to the fans last night, they were pitching to the owners! Would last night's meeting have even happened if they were seeking to buy the club from a single owner? - I doubt it.